A healthy twist on your childhood favourite egg salad sandwich made with fresh dill, onion, lemon and best of all it’s mayo free!
Raise your hand if cutting into the perfect avocado gives you all the feels!! It’s no surprise that I’m a huge fan of avocados and that I find countless ways to sneak them into many of my recipes. Whether it’s in my smoothies, on toast – Mashed Salmon Avocado Tartine, and even dessert – Strawberry Chocolate Mousse Tarts, it just never fails me.
I was inspired to create this recipes because I’m constantly receiving requests for mayo free recipes. Now don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against good quality mayonnaise and use it from time to time. Who doesn’t love dipping their sweet potato fries in some creamy aioli, or spreading a bit on their BLT? But as always, I tend to look for healthier options for most of my meals and just fun alternatives for A: when you ran out of mayo or B: you want a lighter option.
You guys know that I’m all about easy lunch ideas that take minutes to make and are convenient to transport to work, school or if you’re on the go and this Mayo Free Avocado Egg Salad is exactly that!
Avocados are such a magical fruit – yes, it’s a fruit – did you know that? It works perfect in this recipe as a mayo substitute because of its naturally buttery texture. Besides it’s creamy smooth texture, avocados are also loaded with fiber, potassium and actually contain more water than healthy fats so you’re hydrating your body all at the same time.
We all know by now that eggs are a great source of protein. Now add some avocado and you have yourself a protein rich fiber meal, TADA! This recipe is so simple and delicious and takes a few minutes to toss together. You can even make it the night before, and spread it on your favourite sliced bread, multigrain bagel or stuff it in a whole wheat pita in the morning and off you go!! Once you make this creamy Avocado Egg Salad you might never use mayo again!
If you recreate this recipe please share a photo on social media and TAG me @urhealthnut so I can easily find them and like them!
- 4 eggs
- 1 medium ripe avocado, cubed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onions
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 teaspoons chopped dill or ½ teaspoon dry dill
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Multigrain bagels
- Optional toppings: sliced tomatoes, sprouts, cucumbers, lettuce, arugula
- Place your eggs in a medium saucepan and cover them with cold water by 1 inch. Cover the pot with a lid and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Remove from heat and let stand in water still covered for 10 minutes. Drain the water and run cold water over eggs until cool or transfer to a bowl with ice water for a couple of minutes. Peel the eggs and roughly chop them.
- In a medium bowl, add the eggs, avocado, onions, lemon juice, dill, olive oil, salt, pepper and mash with fork, whisk or potato masher until well combined. You’ll know it’s ready when everything sticks together and resembles traditional egg salad.
- Serve on a bagel, sliced bread or as a dip with crackers.
- Store leftovers or sandwiches in the fridge until ready to eat.
- Note: This salad will last in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.