A flavourful healthy and authentic tasting Thai green curry dish with a DIY curry paste blended with all the right spices and flavours pulled together with coconut milk and served on rice in under 30 min!
I was very much in my happy place when I finally nailed this Thai Green Curry recipe. It completely brought me back to the days where Mr. Matt and I were travelling and living throughout South East Asia and Australia.
One of my favourite memories from Thailand was taking a Thai cooking class in a little city called Chang Mai. We created everything from crispy spring rolls to every curry you can think of. Travelling and experiencing new flavours and cooking methods has really shaped and changed the way I cook in my own kitchen today.
I learned about new ingredients like lemongrass and keffir lime, which is key to perfecting the best Thai curries. I love that I can recreate my favourite dishes from travelling and relive the memories through food.
The DIY green curry paste comes together in minutes just by simply blending together all the right flavours and Simply Organic spices to achieve a beautiful and vibrant green paste, which you can then use to create amazing curries from scratch.
When it comes to veggies and protein in curries you can really add anything your heart desires. I chose a combination of red pepper, broccolini, peas and chicken but baby eggplant and tofu work great too! Once you have the curry base perfected the rest is easy so have fun!
If you recreate this recipe, please share your photo on social media and TAG me @urhealthnut so I can easily find them and like them! Also, comment below and tell me a secret ingredient or hack that has changed the way you cook in your life.
Thank you to Simply Organic for sponsoring this blog post and supporting HealthNut Nutrition. Join the Simply Organic Cook For A Change movement – explore new flavours, ideas and recipes that create change in the kitchen.
- 2 tbsp. unrefined sesame oil (not the toasted one)
- 4 tbsp. Thai green curry paste
- 2 organic chicken breasts sliced into ½ inch strips
- 1-¼ cups full fat coconut milk
- 1-cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1-cup sweet red pepper
- 1-cup broccolini
- 1-cup sugar snaps
- 1-cup fresh green peas (can also use frozen)
- 2-3 jalapenos deseeded & chopped
- 1 lemongrass stalk peeled and chopped
- 2 small shallots chopped
- 1 inch ginger root
- 3 kaffir lime leaves ripped in quarters
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 tsp. coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp. soya sauce or tamari (gluten free version)
- 1-cup fresh cilantro with stems
- 1 tsp. Simply Organic Turmeric
- 1 tsp. Simply Organic Cumin
- 1 tsp. Simply Organic Coriander
- ½ tsp. Simply Organic White Pepper
- ¼ cup full fat coconut milk
- In a blender or food processor add in all of the curry paste ingredients except for the coconut milk and blend until you reach a puree consistency. You’ll need to stop and scrap down sides in between blending. Transfer to a glass jar and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat up sesame oil on low-medium heat. Next, add in curry paste and cook for 2 min whiling stirring with a spatula so it doesn’t burn.
- Add in sliced chicken breast and cook with the lid on for 3-4 min tossing in between to cook on both sides.
- Next, stir in veggies and vegetable broth and cook with the lid on for another 2-3 min.
- Stir in coconut milk and add in basil and cook for an additional 2-3 min with lid on.
- Serve right away on cooked white basmati rice and enjoy!
- Notes: you can freeze any leftover curry paste in a ice cube tray to then pop them out and store in freezer bags for grab and go curry paste.