This seriously delicious winter detox salad made with crunchy kale, red cabbage and crispy apples, topped with a zingy lemony ginger dressing is the only salad you will want to eat this winter.
While visiting my parents last week, I came up with the most amazing salad recipe. It was so delicious that my entire family went back for seconds and there wasn’t a kale leaf left in sight. If you know me, you know by now that I take salads very seriously, because if I’m going to convince someone to eat a salad, especially a kale salad, it better taste amazing! What makes a salad amazing? For me it’s all about the balance of textures: crunch, creaminess and freshness.
I wanted to create the perfect salad to help you get those fresh greens and veggies into your day this winter. I know that when most people think of a salad they think lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers. But when it comes to salads lately I’ve been all about the kale. Whether it’s green, purple, black or curly kale I will find a way to sneak it into my salad bowl. I love using kale in my salads because it’s so hearty and crunchy and it never turns soggy which makes it great for meal prepping. It also provides a rich source of Vitamins A, C and K as well as fiber.
In my opinion this is the only salad you need to eat this winter. There are so many beautiful vibrant colours in this salad and I love the pop of sweetness from the crunchy apples and the creaminess from the avocados and pine nuts. I know I say this every time I create a new salad…that this is my new favourite salad…but this is definitely my new favourite winter salad and I hope it will be yours too.
Winter Detox Salad
- Serves 4 to 6
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- 1 head black/dino kale, de-stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1/4 small red cabbage, thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer)
- 2 medium carrots, ribboned using a veggie slicer*
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1 large pink lady or your favourite crunchy apple, cubed
- 1 ripe avocado, cubed
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- Prepare the dressing.
- In a large salad bowl, add the kale, red cabbage and ½ the dressing. Using your hands, massage the dressing into the kale and cabbage until evenly coated. Set aside while you prepare the rest of your ingredients.
- Add the carrots, green onions, apples, avocado and pine nuts. Pour the remaining dressing on top and toss until evenly coated. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
*soak carrot ribbons in an ice water bath to make them curl and crisp up
Lemon Ginger Dressing
- Makes ½ cup
- Prep Time 2 minutes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 1 small garlic clove, chopped
- Sea salt and pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- In a high speed blender, add the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, maple syrup, dijon, ginger, garlic, pinch of salt and pepper and a pinch of cayenne. Blend for about 30-60 seconds or until smooth and creamy.
- Use right away and store any leftovers in a glass jar for 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator.