Perfectly roasted Delicata squash and chickpeas served over a bed of chopped kale and cabbage topped with apples and avocado with a Turmeric Tahini Dressing.
Remember when people use to say salads were boring? Well things have definitely changed! This salad is everything but boring and is full of vibrant colours, textures and flavours to fuel your body and make you glow from within hence its name 😉
I love using ingredients that are seasonal to the time of year because that’s when you get the best flavours and colours in your food. Exploring my own city in Toronto and going to local farmers markets has allowed me to not only learn about where my food comes from but the importance of supporting local farmers close to home. Enjoying seasonal foods like squash and pomegranate has changed how I eat throughout the year and challenged me to try new foods and flavours in my cooking.
Last Fall I discovered the magical world of squashes specifically Delicata squash which is out of this world (and yes I always get this excited about food haha). I mean not only does it have the most buttery and soft texture and flavour but the skin is so thin that you can roast it and it just crisps up perfectly allowing you to eat the whole thing- no peeling required. I’m having flash backs right now of me trying to peel a butternut squash right now… ugh the worst!
To me food isn’t just food. It really matters to me where things were sourced and the quality of the product. Even when it comes to spices I always try to look for Organic brands without any artificial flavours or fillers like Simply Organic. You can literally smell and taste the difference in your foods.
This Harvest Glow Salad is full of hearty and nutritious ingredients not to mention the vibrant Turmeric Tahini dressing drizzled all over top! I’m telling you kale salad and tahini dressings are like PB and jelly 😉
If you recreate this recipe, please share your photo on social media and TAG me @urhealthnut so I can easily find them and like them! Also, comment below and tell me a secret ingredient or hack that has changed the way you cook in your life.
Thank you to Simply Organic for sponsoring this blog post and supporting HealthNut Nutrition. Join the Simply Organic Cook For A Change movement – explore new flavors, ideas and recipes that create change in the kitchen.
- 1 medium Delicata squash (Sliced into ½ inch rings with skin on and seeds removed)
- 1 ripe avocado peeled and sliced
- 1 large pink lady or Fuji apple chopped
- 1 head of black kale (finely shredded)
- ¼ of a small red cabbage (finely shredded)
- ½ can of chickpeas (drained, rinsed and dried with a tea towel)
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil melted
- ¼ tsp. Simply Organic Smoked Paprika
- ½ tsp. Simply Organic Spiced Right Herb Garlic
- ½ tsp. Sea Salt
- ¼ tsp. Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp. Simply Organic Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp. Simply Organic Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- ¼ cup Tahini
- ¼ cup filtered water
- ½ lemon juiced
- Pinch of sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lay out squash and chickpeas on a large cooking tray lined with parchment paper. Drizzle with coconut oil and spices, give it a good rub to evenly coat everything and roast in the oven for 40 min, flipping half way through.
- To make the dressing add in all ingredients starting with the liquids to a blender and blend for 30 seconds until smooth.
- To assemble lay down shredded kale and cabbage in a bowl or plate. Next, top with roasted squash and chickpeas. Add in apples, avocado and drizzle on the Turmeric Tahini dressing over top and serve.
- Notes: You can store any left over dressing in an airtight glass jar for 3-4 days in the fridge.