This simple 10 minute Cashew Chicken Stir-Fry is the perfect weeknight meal that you can throw together in one pan. It’s simple, full of flavour and most of all healthy!
Stir-fries are the perfect quick-fix meal that are full of fresh ingredients, and you only need a few minutes to get this meal on the dinner table. They’re quick because they are meant to be cooked on high heat over a short period of time, for vibrant, crispy veggies that are never soggy. I love all the pre-chopped stir-fry veggie mixes available at the local grocery store these days. This cuts down tremendously on time spent chopping and prepping veggies on busy nights. Also, did you know you can buy pre-cooked chicken breast strips as well – how great is that? These options make it so easy to throw a simple meal together in minutes, making it a great alternative to takeout!
There are two things I can’t resist in a stir-fry: chicken and cashews, which add a nice buttery crunch. I love how they compliment each other and soak up all the saucy goodness. I also love loading up on crunchy veggies like, bell peppers, snow peas, carrots, etc…Switch out the veggies based on preference and the season. Swap out the chicken for shrimp or tofu for a vegetarian option.
When it comes to stir-fries, or creating my favourite takeout dishes, I prefer to make my own sauce: less salt, sugar and additives. A tasty sauce is the key to making a great stir-fry. I love adding fresh ginger, tamari, honey, chili paste, and most of all toasted sesame oil. Toasted sesame oil is a game changer when it comes to making your own asian inspired stir-fries – I may or may not have a Costco size bottle in my kitchen pantry, and I’m not sorry at all!! Haha
Comment below and let me know what you love adding to you stir-fries! If you recreate this recipe please share a photo on social media and TAG me @urhealthnut so I can easily find them and like them!
Cashew Chicken Stir-Fry
- Prep Time 2 minutes
- Cook Time 8 minutes
- Serves 2 to 3
- ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups (200g) cooked chicken breast strips
- 4 cups stir fry vegetable mix (snow peas, zucchinis, onions, bell pepper, bok choy, carrots, etc..)
- 2 tablespoons water
- ⅓ cup raw unsalted cashews
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons pure liquid honey
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon arrowroot powder
- Make the Sauce In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, tamari, chili paste, ginger, sesame oil and arrowroot powder. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Toss in the vegetable mix and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of water. Stir and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Pour in the sauce and stir until well coated. Add the cashews and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve hot on it’s own or with soba noodles or brown rice.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.