Revamp your taco Tuesday night with these Simple Cauliflower Tacos. They’re delicious, healthy and SO easy to make!
I love that cauliflower is such a versatile vegetable and that it takes on the flavour of whatever you add to it. I mean what can’t cauliflower be? Pizza, rice, gnocchi and in this case tacos! Back in the day, I used to have a love/hate relationship with cauliflower. I ate a bunch of it raw in a veggie platter one time, and had the weirdest cauliflower breath that lingered all day. This almost turned me off from the stuff for good. But luckily I gave it another chance, and now I can’t seem to get enough of it. I even put it in my smoothies! Haha However, I still avoid eating it raw – it’s just not my jam!
They say cauliflower is the new ‘kale”, so move over kale, it’s time to let someone else shine. Besides being such a versatile vegetable, it’s also super nutritious, high in fiber, good source of antioxidants, and high in Vitamin C and K. Cauliflower is also a great meat substitute because it has a meaty like texture, which is why you see it in so many vegetarian/vegan recipes, such as Buffalo cauliflower wings. You can broil it, bake it, steam it, marinate it and substitute it for ground meat in tacos. (I bet you can’t do all that Mr. Kale).
When it comes to tacos, I like making my own taco seasoning as I can control the salt and spices, but feel free to use your own taco seasoning. I originally wanted to make this recipe using taco shells, but that turned out to be a bit of a challenge as it was hard to squeeze some of the cauliflower into taco shells without them cracking. Both Cloe and Andrea vetoed the taco shells and voted for corn tortillas. So corn tortillas it is!
If you recreate this recipe please share a photo on social media and TAG me @urhealthnut so I can easily find them and like them!
Simple Cauliflower Tacos
- Prep Time 2 minutes
- Cook Time 8 minutes
- Serves 3 3
- 4 cups cauliflower, cut into small florets
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 Corn Tortillas
- 2 cups slaw
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise (I like Veganaise)
- 1 teaspoon pure liquid honey
- Garnish: chopped cilantro
- Optional: greek yogurt, sliced avocado
- Steam the cauliflower for 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, add the slaw , lime juice, mayonasie and honey. Stir until evenly coated. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the cauliflower, water and all the spices, stir, cover with lid and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, heat the tortillas in a pan on medium heat for about 30 seconds on each side.
- To assemble the tacos, add a couple of spoonfuls of slaw, a few pieces of cauliflower and top with a dollop of greek yogurt or slice avocado and garnish with cilantro. Enjoy!
Variations: If you’re not pressed for time, you can roast the cauliflower in the oven at 450℉ for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Just toss it with all the spices and a splash of olive oil.