This Creamy Chickpea Curry cooked in a tomato coconut base is so flavourful and hearty! All it takes is one pot and it’s ready in 10 minutes.
Sometimes the best recipes are the ones that are made up of simple ingredients that are probably already in your pantry, like canned chickpeas, coconut milk and diced tomatoes. This recipe is super simple and is ready in 10 minutes, which makes it perfect for easy weeknight dinners. The best part about this curry is that it tastes like it was cooking for hours with all the rich flavours and fragrant spices.
Now that we are slowly easing into fall, I find I’m craving more warming and comfort foods. I just love all the vibrant spices that go into a simple curry like turmeric, coriander, cumin, paprika and chili for some heat. They all have their own unique taste and colour, but somehow work so well when magically mixed together.
This dish is perfect for those meatless Mondays as it’s plant based, dairy free, gluten free and loaded with so much flavour. Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans are incredibly nutritious. They are a great source of fiber, rich in vitamins and minerals such as iron, folate, manganese, B-6 and provides a decent amount of protein.
I love tossing in a handful or two of fresh spinach or kale into soups, stews and curries as it’s an easy way to sneak in more leafy greens into your meals – you didn’t think I would make a dish without sneaking in my greens did you?
I love serving this recipe on top of basmati rice or quinoa, sprinkled with fresh cilantro, and with a side of warm naan bread – I mean what’s a curry without some yummy naan bread? This recipe also tastes amazing as is, if you’re wanting to enjoy it grain free.
You can also double or triple this recipe (just keep in mind that the cooking time will have to be increased), which makes it great for meal prepping for lunch and dinner, as it will last all week in the fridge, and it also freezes very well.
If you recreate this recipe please share a photo on social media and TAG me @urhealthnut so I can easily find them and like them!
Creamy Chickpea Curry
- Prep Time 2 minutes
- Cook Time 8 minutes
- Serves 2 to 3
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup diced red onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1 can (19 oz/540ml) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 ½ cups diced tomatoes
- 1 cup canned full fat coconut milk
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 handfuls of fresh baby spinach
- Garnish: fresh cilantro
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions for 1 minute. Add the garlic and ginger and sauté for another minute.
- Toss in the curry powder, coriander, cumin, paprika and chili if using. Stir and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add the chickpeas, diced tomatoes, coconut milk and stir. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and toss in the spinach. Stir and cook for another minute.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro. Serve on it’s own or with cooked quinoa or brown rice.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.