This healthy kale and quinoa stir-fry is perfect for any meal of the day and is packed full of protein, fibre, and healthy fats!
This dish came together on a whim as I had a bunch of kale I needed to use up, and I already had some cooked quinoa in the fridge, which is something I always try to have on hand as it makes it so easy to toss a quick meal together. I decided to add some beans as well – I went with black beans, but you can use whatever beans you have in your cupboards. Beans are such a great staple to have in your kitchen and it’s packed full of protein and fibre.
This meal is super easy to make, you can whip this up in about 5 minutes, provided you’ve already prepped your quinoa. I love easy dinner recipes like this, especially for those times when you get home late and you just don’t have the energy to cook something extravagant, but you still want to eat healthy. What’s great about this dish is that it’s pretty versatile. You can swap the kale for spinach or broccoli, add some leftover roasted chicken or tofu in place of fried eggs, or use brown rice in place of quinoa.
It’s no secret that one of my favourite green veggies is kale. I love how this superfood adds a hearty meaty texture to any meal. I use it often in my green smoothies and I’m all about the kale salad, like my Apple Bacon and Kale Salad and Butternut Squash Kale Salad with Maple Tahini Dressing both of which are perfect salads for fall.
If you’re hooked on kale salad and looking for a new way to incorporate this leafy green into your diet, and not just in a salad, this dish is a great idea. Even I forget sometimes that there’s more to kale than meets the SALAD – Haha! You can toss it into any stir-fry, soup, sautée it, steam it, bake it aka “kale chips” it really is super versatile. Steamed kale is so yummy and juicy, and much more easier to digest for some people than raw kale. So if you’ve been shying away from raw kale because of this, I think you’re gonna love it once you add a little heat to it!
The best part about this meal is that you can make it part of your meal prep. Make a big batch of the kale and quinoa mixture, keep it in the fridge, reheat, and just fry up an egg whenever you’re ready for lunch or dinner.
If you recreate this recipe please share a photo on social media and TAG me @urhealthnut so I can easily find them and like them!
- 1 bunch of kale, de-stemmed and chopped or roughly torn
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 can (14oz/398mL) of black beans, drained and rinsed (I like Eden Organic)
- 1 to 2 large eggs, per person
- Sea salt and pepper
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add ½ tablespoon olive oil and garlic. Sautée for about 1 minute.
- Toss in the kale and a couple tablespoons of water. Cover with a lid and cook for 2 minutes. Add in the quinoa and black beans and season with salt and pepper. Stir until well combined and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl.
- Using the same pan, heat the remaining olive oil over medium-low heat. Crack the eggs into the skillet, cover with a lid, and cook until the whites are completely set and the yolk is still runny, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve on a plate or in a bowl topped with fried eggs. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.