Double chocolate peppermint cookies loaded with chocolate chunks and refreshing peppermint are super easy to make and perfect for your next holiday cookie exchange!
What’s better than chocolate chip cookies…double chocolate chip cookies….even better…double chocolate peppermint cookies! Guys…hands down, these are the BEST chocolate cookies I have ever made! If you watched my VLOGMAS video on my Youtube channel last week, you guys saw that I was testing this recipe along with some other holiday cookies, and they turned out so delicious that I couldn’t wait to share the recipe with you guys. They taste like a chewy brownie on the inside and with the chocolate chunks added it’s like a melt in your mouth chocolate explosion.
When it comes to chocolate and peppermint, you either LOVE it or hate it…hhhmmm…I love me some chocolate and peppermint together! I think by now you guys know that when I want to healthify a delectable recipe, my go to is light spelt flour and coconut sugar, and as per usual if you want to make them gluten-free, just swap the flour for gluten-free all purpose flour. I did skip the butter this time, so they are dairy-free, and added almond butter and a touch of avocado oil, which gives these cookies a chewy moist consistency. If you prefer your cookies sans peppermint, then leave out the peppermint extract and enjoy them as regular double chocolate cookies.
Don’t wait until the holidays to enjoy these bad boyz! I think these are going to be on a regular rotation throughout the year in the Healnut kitchen! But, just to make them extra festive, I highly recommend you top these with crushed candy canes. Feliz Natal!
If you’re a huge fan of chocolate peppermint you’re going to love my Dairy-Free Peppermint Hot Chocolate as well!
If you recreate this recipe please share a photo on social media and TAG me @urhealthnut and #healthnuteats so I can easily find them and like them!
- 1 cup light spelt flour
- ½ cup raw cacao or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup drippy unsalted smooth almond butter
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract*
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup dairy-free chocolate chip chunks or chocolate chips (I used the Enjoy Life brand)
- 1 candy cane, finely crushed (otional)**
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the almond butter, coconut sugar, avocado oil and peppermint extract. Using an electric mixer on medium speed, mix until well combined and smooth, about 1 minute. Add the eggs and continue mixing for another minute until creamy and smooth.
- With the mixer on low speed, add ½ the flour mixture and mix until well incorporated. Add the rest of the flour mixture and continue mixing until combined. Using a spatula, stir until mixture is well combined and has a brownie/cookie dough like texture. Fold in the chocolate chips/chunks until evenly distributed.
- Form the dough into 1 inch size balls (about 2 tablespoons) and place on baking sheet about 1.5 inches apart. You can use an ice-cream scoop to make it easier, and to make your cookies equal in size. Gently flatten them by pressing down.
- Bake for 10 to 11 minutes until firm to the touch and doubled in size.
- Remove from oven and allow to set on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack cool completely.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container for a few days on the counter or freeze for a couple of months.
- *you can skip the peppermint extract if you want to make regular double chocolate chip cookies.
- **If you want to make these extra festive and pepperminty, top the cookies with crushed candy cane as soon as they come out of the oven.