These healthy no-bake chocolate peanut butter oat bites are the perfect pick me up snack, breakfast on the go, or after dinner dessert!
Energy balls are a great snack for both adults and kids and a healthier alternative to store bought energy bars/protein bars. They are also super budget friendly as most likely you already have these ingredients in your cupboards. I love making a big batch ahead of time to store in the fridge or freezer so they’re ready when you need them. Matt and I love grabbing these when we’re rushing out the door, or to pack some when we’re going for a hike or road trip.
These energy bites are loaded with wholesome ingredients like oats and flax seeds, packed full of protein, fibre and healthy fats. They are super simple to make, don’t require baking, are ready in less than 10 minutes and everything is combined in one bowl: which means less dishes to wash for Mr. Matt!
The best part about this snack is that it’s super versatile. You can swap the peanut butter for any nut butter you like, and if you want to make these school friendly than use sunflower butter. If chocolate chips aren’t your jam, you can use raisins or carob chips. If you’re out of flax seeds, use ground chia seeds, and swap the cinnamon for a couple of tablespoons of raw cacao for an extra chocolate-y taste! If you like this recipe, you might also like my Healthy Chocolate Brownie Bites!
If you recreate this recipe please share a photo on social media and TAG me @urhealthnut so I can easily find them and like them!
- ½ cup unsalted smooth peanut butter
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1½ cups gluten-free old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅓ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Pinch of sea salt (omit if using salted peanut butter)
- In a large bowl, add the peanut butter, maple syrup and vanilla. Stir until smooth and well combined.
- Add the oats, flax seeds, cinnamon, chocolate chips and a pinch of salt, if using. Stir until the dry ingredients are evenly coated with the wet mixture.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scoop out a heaping tablespoon of the mixture and roll into a 1 ½-inch balls. Transfer to baking sheet. Continue until all the mixture is used up.
- Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to firm up.
- Store in an airtight container and enjoy 1 to 2 as a snack or dessert.