This rainbow infused Tuna Salad is the perfect summer dish that’s filled with crunchy fresh veggies, protein packed tuna and a light creamy simple dressing.
If you guys haven’t noticed by now, I’m kind of a fan of salads. Besides being called the green smoothie girl, you can pretty much call me the salad queen as well because I love them both! Whether it’s for lunch or dinner, I usually try to have a salad every day to get in my leafy vegetables. While I do enjoy a variety of different types of salad, this Rainbow Chopped Tuna Salad is my NEW favourite. Not only are tuna salads super filling and delicious, they’ll also keep you satisfied with the right balance of protein, healthy fats and fibre.
Canned tuna is a great way to add lean protein to any salad and it’s also a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids. There are a variety of options when it comes to canned tuna so it can get a bit confusing. I’m a huge fan of skipjack tuna in water because it contains less mercury, and because that’s the one my mom always told me to buy…and mom knows best! Look for the one that’s labeled Non-Gmo Project Verified with no preservatives and no additives with BPA free cans.
I love the combination of tuna, crunchy veggies and sweet grapes which adds a refreshing pop. The dressing is light and creamy and you can toss everything into one bowl, so no need to fuss and make your dressing in a separate jar (which means less dishes for Mr.Matt haha). You can swap the mayo if that’s not your thing for mashed avocado or even hummus, which one of you guys (aka the #HealthNutFam) suggested to me on my Smashed Salmon Avocado Tartine recipe.
Rainbow Chopped Tuna Salad is not just for eating with a fork – it makes a fantastic dip for your next party or as a light snack. Serve it with your favourite crackers, tortilla chips or sliced cucumbers. You can also make it into sandwich for a quick lunch, or enjoy it in a salad wrap for a lighter bread free option.
Variations: Swap tuna for salmon or shredded chicken, mashed chickpeas for a veggie option. Toss in some quinoa or gluten free pasta, the possibilities are endless so feel free to get as creative as you like!
If you recreate this recipe please share a photo on social media and TAG me @urhealthnut so I can easily find them and like them!
- 2 (170g) cans flaked white tuna, drained (I like to use Skipjack in water)
- 2 stalks of celery, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- ¼ red onion, finely chopped
- 2 dill pickles, finely chopped
- 1 green onion, finely sliced
- 1 cup red grapes, halved
- 2 to 3 leaves of kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 to 4 tablespoons mayonnaise, vegan or regular
- ½ tablespoon grainy dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- Pinch of sea salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the tuna, celery, carrots, red onions, dill pickles, green onions, grapes, kale, lemon juice, mayo, mustard, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Toss until well combined and evenly coated.
- Serve as a dip style with crackers, as a sandwich, or lettuce wrap.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.