Here’s a fun healthy twist on the traditional Chocolate Rocky Road ice cream; loaded with mixed nuts and drizzled with a chocolate magic shell.
It’s DAY 3 of Ice Cream Week and I’m looking at all of you chocolate lovers out there because today’s recipe is all about chocolate, on top of chocolate with nuts, and then drizzled with more chocolate. Getting excited?
Traditional Rocky Road ice cream tends to have marshmallows, but since I’m not a huge fan of them, I swapped them out for some of my favourite decadent nuts; walnuts and hazelnuts…and I’m sure I won’t hear anyone complaining 😉 Chocolate and nuts = ice cream heaven.
Before I forget to mention it, this Chocolate Rocky Road ice cream is loaded with plenty of healthy fats including my secret ingredient, AVOCADO! But shhh don’t tell anyone because no one needs to know this ice cream is actually good for them, right? That just ruins all the fun.
This creamy blend of cashews, coconut milk, avocado and chocolate is just what you need this summer. Take a bite to cool off after a long day in the sun or have some as a pick me up after work so you can feel like you were at the beach all day 😛
So if you’re a chocolate lover, then churn up a batch of this super loaded Chocolate Rocky Road ice cream and give it a taste. I’ll see you in chocolate heaven.
Don’t forget to share a photo on social media using the hashtag #HEALTHNUTEATS so I can find and like it! I love seeing all your HealthNut recreations 🙂
Happy ice cream making!
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 3/4 cup cashews (soaked overnight)
- ¼ cup unsweetened cacao powder
- 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk
- ½ large ripe avocado
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. arrowroot flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup chopped hazelnuts
- ¼ cup chopped walnut
- ¼ cup chopped chocolate chips
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- If using an ice-cream maker then be sure to follow the instructions for your particular product. Mine requires the bowl to be placed in the freezer for 24 hours before preparing this recipe.
- In a medium sauce pot whisk in the coconut milk and maple syrup on low-medium heat and bring it to a simmer. Ladle out ½ cup of the mixture into a separate small bowl and whisk in the arrow root flour until dissolved then pour it back into the main pot and whisk until well combined. Cook on a low simmer for 5 min. Transfer mixture into a glass bowl to fully cool for about 30-45 min.
- In a high speed blender (I used a Vitamix) add in your coconut milk mixture, cashews, avocado, cacao powder, coconut oil, vanilla and sea salt. Blend on high until silky smooth (roughly 30 sec).
- Pour the blended mixture into your ice cream maker and churn for 25-30 min until you’ve reached your desired texture. During the last 3-5 min you can add in the chocolate chips and nuts.
- Enjoy straight away or transfer into an air tight container or ice cream tub in keep the freezer until ready to eat. I would recommend consuming within a month to keep its freshness.
- In a double boiler, melt together the chocolate chips and coconut oil on low-medium heat and stir until fully melted together. Set aside to slightly cool before topping onto your ice-cream. You can pour it straight onto your ice cream dish or transfer it into a squeeze bottle and drizzle it daintily to enjoy.