Creamy coconut & chai spiced bowl of oats, naturally sweetened with mashed banana, perfect for cool cozy fall mornings.
If only you could smell my kitchen in the morning when I make oatmeal for Mr. Matt and I for breakfast. I love that I can basically use the same coconut milk and banana base and create any fun flavour combination like adding my DIY Chai Spice blend made with Simply Organic spices. I just like to make a big batch and add it to everything and anything I can think of like smoothies, lattes, trail mix… you name it it’s amazing in everything!
If I told you that I use to hate oatmeal growing up would you believe me? I hardly can believe it myself but yes it’s true…I Nikole Goncalves use to avoid a bowl of oats at all costs. Today I can’t get enough of the stuff and it’s all because of Mamma HealthNut who, a few years ago, told me about her new little secret of adding in mashed up banana to your oats when cooking as they not only melt right in, but add a creamy texture and natural sweetness without any added sugar. It’s funny how the littlest of things can really change the way you cook.
I honestly just think oatmeal is one of the most cost effective but healthy breakfast options out there, not to mention it’s super quick to cook up. During the cooler fall and winter months, there’s really nothing better than a warm bowl of creamy oatmeal with all the toppings, am I right? 😉
If you recreate this recipe, please share your photo on social media and TAG me @urhealthnut so I can easily find them and like them! Also, comment below and tell me a secret ingredient or hack that has changed the way you cook in your life.
Thank you to Simply Organic for sponsoring this blog post and supporting HealthNut Nutrition. Join the Simply Organic Cook For A Change movement – explore new flavours, ideas and recipes that create change in the kitchen.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 ¾ cup filtered water
- ¼ cup full fat coconut milk from the can
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tsp. DIY Chai Spice Blend
- Pinch of sea salt
- Peach slices
- Coconut milk
- Drizzle of maple syrup
- Extra Chai Spice
- DIY Chai Spice Blend
- 1 tbsp. Simply Organic Ceylon cinnamon
- 1 tsp. Simply Organic nutmeg
- 2 tsp. Simply Organic ground ginger
- ½ tsp. Simply Organic allspice
- 1 tsp. Simply Organic cardamom
- In a medium size pot bring water to a boil with sea salt. Add oats, stir and lower temperature to low-med heat. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Next, add in coconut milk, chai spice and mash in banana with a wooden spoon or spatula to help it melt into the oats. Cover and cook for another 5 min.
- Once oats are cooked and creamy, remove from heat and plate.
- Top your bowl of oats with extra coconut milk, pecans, peach slices, extra chai spice and a drizzle of maple syrup and enjoy!