The most amazing and prettiest Summer salad yet! Made with 5 simple ingredients like Watermelon, crisp cucumber, shaved red onion, feta and fluffy quinoa with a mint and basil vinaigrette for a delicious Summer in a bowl meal.
I feel like watermelon is the mascot fruit for Summer. I mean you’ll always find it at the beach, picnic, BBQ, you name it! Watermelon feta has also been a huge trend this season and I wanted to add my little healthnut twist on this classic flavour combo. I mean watermelon, feta, quinoa, cucumber.. cant get any more Summer than that!
I’m all about turning salads into a complete meal and with the addition of quinoa and cucumber this fruity Summer salad is officially a healthy complete dish you could serve as a main or side for summer potluck or pack it and take it with you on a picnic.
If there by some miracle happens to be any leftovers let me just say this salad holds up amazingly well for up to 2-3 days in the fridge. I would just recommend serving the dressing on the side so the watermelon doesn’t become mushy.
Not only is this possibly the prettiest salad I’ve ever made but its also the most Summery one. If you want to relive Summer over and over again throughout the fall months then I’m telling you that you need to make this salad because every bite is like a burst of summer!
- 1 English cucumber, diced, skin on
- 2 cups cubed watermelon
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa
- 1/2 cup thinly shaved red onion (I used a mandolin like this one)
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat Greek feta cheese
- 1/4 cup finely sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup finely sliced fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- pinch of salt and black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, add in dry quinoa and water on medium-high heat, stir and bring to a boil. Once water has reached a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer covered for 12-15 min until cooked. Fluff with a fork and set aside aside to cool.
- In a large salad bowl, add in all ingredients and gently toss.
- In a glass jar add in all ingredients and shake well until emulsified together.
- The dressing will keep well in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.