A delicious meat free summer kebab option this season made with red onion, sweet bell peppers and Teriyaki marinated tofu for the perfect sweet and savoury combo on your grill!
You guys know I love my seafood and chicken wings but I also happen to really love tofu. Yes you do not need to be a Vegan or Vegetarian to enjoy the taste and versatility of tofu. The great thing about this plant based protein option is that is basically takes on any flavour you put on it. I’m telling you once you soak your firm tofu cubes in this Teriyaki marinade for an hour over overnight you will be left with the most flavourful grilled tofu you’ll almost..I said ALMOST think its chicken 😉
Now I’ve been a huge fan all my life of asian flavours but I don’t always like the amount of sugars and additives that are on most asian sauces on the grocery shelves. Over the past few weeks I decided to just learn how to make my own popular Asian cooking sauces and Teriyaki was first up to bat. I’m telling you this is the easiest thing to make and its with REAL ingredients and takes minutes to whisk up. This version is a bit different because its a marinade but I will be sharing the full saucy version soon on the blog!
EASY and SIMPLE INGREDIENTS LIKE:
- SOYA SAUCE
- TOASTED SESAME OIL (this is what really makes it taste like store bought Teriyaki sauce)
- HONEY (you can use agave or maple syrup if you’re Vegan)
- RICE VINEGAR
Its seriously that easy and once you have all of these ingredients on hand in your fridge, creating other Asian sauces will be a breeze. I have plenty more to come I promise! Also, comment below on which ones you’d love me to healthify 🙂
- 1 package of firm organic tofu (cubed into 1 inch squares)
- 1 medium red onion cut into chunks
- 2-3 coloured bell peppers cut into square chunks
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 2 tbsp organic soya sauce (or you can you Tamari for a gluten free option)
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp raw ginger (finely grated)
- pinch of black pepper and sea salt
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds
- In a medium sized bowl whisk in all of you ingredients except for the tofu. Add tofu, gentle mix to coat, cover and marinate for 30 min. Once marinated reserve the remaining sauce for grilling later.
- Using a bamboo skewer that has been soaked in water for at least an hour, start to thread tofu and veggies onto the skewers alternating ingredients.
- Turn on grill to medium high. Once grill is nice and hot, add your kebabs and cook for about 4 min on each side.
- Brush with a little of the reserved Teriyaki marinade onto the kebabs while cooking if you like to add some flavour and keep them from sticking to the grill.
- For storing, you can just remove tofu and veggies from bamboo skewers and store them in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.