A green twist on a dairy and gluten free macaroni and cheese dish perfect to celebrate St.Patty’s Day with and get your greens in at the same time!
Today’s recipe is all about the greens! I’m showing you how to make macaroni and cheese homemade style with a green twist for St.Patty’s Day! This Green Mac and Cheese recipe is both dairy free and gluten free plus you’ll get a good serving of greens while enjoying your mac and cheese.
I decided to go with a traditional cashew nut milk cheese sauce similar to my Fettuccini Alfredo recipe but add a good helping of fresh spinach to give it that bright green colouring because who needs food colouring when you have mother nature 😉
This easy and delicious homemade mac and cheese recipe is simple and comes together in less than 30 min! I hope you give it a try and if you do be sure to share a photo of your masterpiece with me on social media and TAG me @urhealthnut so I can FIND and LIKE it!
- 1 package of brown rice macaroni pasta
- 1 medium brown onion chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 green jalapeno de-seeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup of reserved pasta water
- Optional: Dairy-free parmesan cheese & fresh baby watercress
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 1 cup packed fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup *raw cashews
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsbp. arrowroot flour
- 1 garlic
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
- pinch of smoked paprika
- pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- To make the sauce, in a high speed blender add in milk, cashews, lemon juice, garlic, nutritional yeast, arrow root flour, spices and spinach and blend till smooth (roughly 30-60 sec).
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to directions on the package. Once cooked, reserve some pasta water, drain and rinse with cold water.
- In a large skillet on medium heat, add in oil and sauté onion for a couple min and then add jalapeno and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add in green cheese sauce to the pan with onion and jalapeno and cook on low for another minute to cook to the arrow root flour while stirring constantly so it doesn't burn. Then pour in the reserved pasta water and stir everything together to create a nice creamy sauce.
- Add in cooked pasta with frozen peas and stir to combine and top it off with the remaining fresh spinach. Stir everything slowly and cook for another 2-3 minutes to heat up the peas and spinach and then remove from heat.
- You can top it off with some homemade dairy-free parmesan cheese and baby watercress if you'd like as well when serving.
- *if not using a high speed blender you may want to soak your raw cashews in water overnight in the fridge to soften.
- *You can store this dish in an air tight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.